One of the primary sources of satisfaction in our lives is the presence of healthy relationships with friends, family, and romantic partners. While we all experience relationship ups and downs, the following are situations that indicate consultation with a therapist might be helpful:
- Difficult Relationship Breakups.
- Feeling Stuck in an Unhealthy Relationship.
- Commitment Difficulties.
- Finding that “Old Baggage” is Getting in the Way in a Current Relationship.
- The same arguments keep coming up repeatedly, often with increasing resentment.
- Arguments tend to escalate to hostile put-downs and name-calling.
- One or both partners tend to withdraw during the argument, such that the issue never gets resolved.
- The arguments stop, but now there is growing distance.
- Finding yourself having a growing emotional attachment towards another person outside your relationship.
- Contemplating or having an affair.
- Any emotionally abusive words or physical violence.
While the overall goal is a happier, healthier relationship, specific skills often addressed in couple’s therapy include:
- Improvement of listening and communications skills.
- Improving each partner’s ability to understand each other’s perspective.
- Improving the couple’s ability to resolve conflicts in a way that is respectful of each person’s needs.
We all yearn to find satisfying and fulfilling relationships with other. Whether it is simply learning more effective communication skills, healing past hurts, or understanding how difficult past relationships are interfering with finding happiness in your current ones, I can work with you to make the changes necessary to help you have the relationships you want.